Faculty and Donor Gallery

Our Faculty

Ishmail Abdus-Saboor

Mitchell J. Blutt and Margo Krody Blutt Presidential Assistant Professor of Biology

Asif Agha

Francis E. Johnston Term Professor

Robert Aronowitz

Walter H. and Leonore C. Annenberg Professor in the Social Sciences

Mia Bay

Roy F. and Jeannette P. Nichols Professor of American History

Gary Bernstein

Reese W. Flower Professor of Astronomy and Astrophysics

Cristina Bicchieri

Sascha Jane Patterson Harvie Professor of Social Thought and Comparative Ethics

David Brownlee

Frances Shapiro-Weitzenhoffer Professor of 19th Century European Art

Camille Charles

Walter H. and Leonore C. Annenberg Professor in the Social Sciences

Paul M. Cobb

Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Term Professor of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations

Rita Copeland

Sheli Z. and Burton X. Rosenberg Professor of Humanities

Margo Crawford

Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Professor of Faculty Excellence

Mark Devlin

Reese W. Flower Professor of Astronomy and Astrophysics

Francis Diebold

Paul F. Miller, Jr., and E. Warren Shafer Miller Professor of Social Sciences

Jed Esty

Vartan Gregorian Professor of English

Roxanne Euben

Walter H. and Leonore C. Annenberg Professor in the Social Sciences

Tulia Falleti

Class of 1965 Endowed Term Professor of Political Science

Martha Farah

Walter H. Annenberg Professor in the Natural Sciences

Joseph Farrell

M. Mark and Esther K. Watkins Professor in the Humanities

Steven J. Fluharty

Dean and Thomas S. Gates, Jr. Professor of Psychology, Pharmacology, and Neuroscience

Feng Gai

Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Term Professor of Chemistry

Daniel Q. Gillion

Julie Beren Platt and Marc E. Platt Presidential Associate Professor of Political Science

Avery Goldstein

David M. Knott Professor of Global Politics and International Relations

Mark Goulian

Charles and William L. Day Distinguished Professor in the Natural Sciences

Amy Gutmann

President of the University of Pennsylvania; Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of Political Science in Penn Arts & Sciences; and Professor of Communication in the Annenberg School for Communication

Peter Holquist

Ronald S. Lauder Endowed Term Associate Professor of History

David Harbater

Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of Mathematics

Kathryn Hellerstein

Ruth Meltzer Director of the Jewish Studies Program and Professor of Germanic Languages and Literatures (Yiddish)

Gary Hatfield

Adam Seybert Professor in Moral and Intellectual Philosophy

Bhuvnesh Jain

Walter H. and Leonore C. Annenberg Professor in the Natural Sciences

Randall Kamien

Vicki and William Abrams Professor in the Natural Sciences

Charles Kane

Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of Physics

Junhyong Kim

Patricia M. Williams Term Professor of Biology

Joshua Klein

Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Endowed Term Professor of Physics and Astronomy

Dirk Krueger

Walter H. and Leonore C. Annenberg Professor in the Social Sciences

John Lapinski

Robert A. Fox Leadership Professor of Political Science

Annette Lareau

Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Term Professor in the Social Sciences

Michael Leja

James and Nan Wagner Farquhar Professor of the History of Art

Mark Liberman

Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of Linguistics

M. Susan Lindee

Janice and Julian Bers Professor of the History and Sociology of Science

Beth Linker

Samuel H. Preston Endowed Term Associate Professor in the Social Sciences

Ponzy Lu

Roy and Diana Vagelos Director of the Vagelos Scholars Program in Molecular Life Sciences

Eugene Mele

Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of Physics

Rahul Mukherjee

Dick Wolf Assistant Professor of Television and New Media Studies

Diana Mutz

Samuel A. Stouffer Professor of Political Science and Communication

Anne Norton

Stacey and Henry Jackson President’s Distinguished Professor of Political Science

Eugene Y. Park

Korea Foundation Associate Professor of East Asian Languages and Civilizations

Kathy Peiss

Roy F. and Jeannette P. Nichols Professor of American History

Adriana Petryna

Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Term Professor of Anthropology

Kevin M.F. Platt

Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Term Professor in the Humanities

Joshua B. Plotkin

Walter H. and Leonore C. Annenberg Professor in the Natural Sciences

Philip A. Rea

Rebecka and Arie Belldegrun Distinguished Director of the Vagelos Program in Life Sciences and Management

Karen Redrobe

Elliot and Roslyn Jaffe Endowed Professor in Film Studies

Daniel K. Richter

Roy F. and Jeannette P. Nichols Professor of American History; Richard S. Dunn Director at the McNeil Center for Early American Studies

Lauren Ristvet

Associate Professor of Anthropology & Dyson Associate Curator, Near East Section, Penn Museum

Megan Robb

Julie and Martin Franklin Assistant Professor of Religious Studies

Paul Saint-Amour

Walter H. and Leonore C. Annenberg Professor in the Humanities

Lauren Sallan

Martin Meyerson Assistant Professor in Interdisciplinary Studies

Holger Sieg

Joseph M. Cohen Term Professor of Economics

David Silverman

Eckley Brinton Coxe, Jr. Professor and Curator of Egyptology

Kaja Silverman

Katherine Stein Sachs CW’69 and Keith L. Sachs W’67 Professor of Art History

Rogers Smith

Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of Political Science

Paul Sniegowski

Stephen A. Levin Family Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences

Dawn Teele

Janice and Julian Bers Assistant Professor in the Social Sciences

Margo Todd

Walter H. Annenberg Professor of History

Petra Todd

Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Term Professor of Economics

Mark Trodden

Fay R. and Eugene L. Langberg Professor of Physics

Eve Troutt Powell

Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of History and Africana Studies

Liliane Weissberg

Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor in Arts and Sciences

Steven Weitzman

Abraham M. Ellis Professor of Hebrew and Semitic Languages and Literature; Ella Darivoff Director of the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies

Beth Wenger

Moritz and Josephine Berg Professor of History

Emily Wilson

College for Women Class of 1963 Term Professor in the Humanities

Mantha Zarmakoupi

Morris Russell and Josephine Chidsey Williams Assistant Professor in Roman Architecture

Our Donors

Avalon Foundation

This chair was established in 1966 by the Avalon Foundation (now the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation) to support the study of the humanities.

Rebecka and Arie Belldegrun, parents

This directorship was established by Rebecka and Arie Belldegrun to support the Penn Arts & Sciences co-director of the Roy and Diana Vagelos Program in Life Sciences and Management.

Estate of Albert A. Berg

Albert A. Berg established this professorship in 1951 through his estate to support the teaching of religious thought.

Blanchard Family

Anna, Harriet, and Maria Blanchard established the Blanchard Professorship in 1907 to advance research and study in the Department of Chemistry.

Nancy L. Blank

The Robert S. Blank Presidential Professorship was established in 2017 by Nancy L. Blank in memory of her husband, Robert S. Blank, L’65. Mr. Blank was an Emeritus Trustee at Penn.

David and Mary Boies

David and Mary Boies established this chair in 2003 in memory of Mr. Boies’s father, who was a high school history teacher.

Christopher H. Browne, C’69

The late Christopher H. Browne, C’69 served as the former chair of the Board of Overseers at Penn Arts & Sciences and as a Trustee of the University.

Clarence H. Clark

The Clark Chair was established in 1902 by Edward White Clark and Clarence H. Clark.

Class of 1939

The Class of 1939 Professorship was established in 1989 in conjunction with the Class of 1939’s 50th reunion, to support a distinguished professor in Penn Arts & Sciences.

Class of 1942

The Class of 1942 established this endowed term chair at its 50th reunion to recognize Penn faculty members who have made significant contributions to both scholarship and undergraduate teaching.

Class of 1965

The Class of 1965 Term Chair is one of five chairs established in 1990 in honor of their 25th Reunion.

Joseph M. Cohen, W’59

Joseph M. Cohen, W’59 established this chair in 1990 to recognize a distinguished scholar in economics.

College for Women Class of 1963

The College for Women Class of 1963 established this endowed term chair in 1989 to honor the role of women as scholars, teachers, and students at the University of Pennsylvania.

Charles Day and William L. Day

The Charles and William L. Day Distinguished Professorship was created in 1973 with funds from the estate of Charles Day; a gift from William L. Day in honor of his father, Charles; and memorial gifts in honor of William L. Day.

Donner Foundation 

The Donner Professorship of Physical Sciences was established in 1958 by the Donner Foundation, now known as the Independence Foundation.

Nan and James Farquhar, LAR’39

The late Nan and James Farquhar, LAR’39, both prominent supporters of art history at Penn, established this professorship in art history in 1988.

John H. Fassitt Trust

The chair was established in 1993 by the John H. Fassitt Trust to support faculty member in Penn Arts & Sciences.

Richard L. Fisher, C’63, G’67

The late Richard L. Fisher, C’63, G’67, established this chair in 1989 to support a faculty member of outstanding character and ability with a particular interest in English.

Reese W. Flower

This chair was established in 1892 through the bequest of Reese Wall Flower.

Stephen M. Gorn Family Foundation

This chair was established by the Stephen M. Gorn Family Foundation in 2008 for a preeminent scholar and teacher in the Department of English at Penn Arts & Sciences.

Stephen J. Heyman, W’59

Stephen J. Heyman, W’59, together with his wife, Barbara, created the Bess W. Heyman Professorship in 1989 to honor his mother and the I. George Heyman University Professorship in 2010 to honor his father.

Harry P. Kamen, C’54

Harry P. Kamen, C’54, established this chair in 2002 to support the study of economics.

Paul K. Kelly, C’62, WG’64

Paul K. Kelly, C’62, WG’64, established this chair in 2002 to honor an outstanding member of the English faculty who is committed to creating a culture of writing on campus.

William R. Kenan, Jr. Charitable Trust

The Kenan Professorships were established in 1970 to support scholars and teachers of distinction whose enthusiasm for learning, commitment to teaching, and interest in students make notable contributions to the undergraduate community.

Josephine Rankin Kennedy

The Davidson Kennedy chair was established in 1994 by the late Josephine Rankin Kennedy and is named in memory of her husband.

Alumni & Friends of Lawrence R. Klein

This professorship was created in 1991 in honor of Lawrence R. Klein, a Benjamin Franklin Professor Emeritus of Economics and Nobel laureate in economic sciences.

David M. Knott, C’67, WG’73

The David M. Knott Professorship of Global Politics and International Relations was established by David M. Knott, C’67, WG’73.

Natalie I. Koether, CW’61, L’65

The late Natalie I. Koether, CW’61, L’65 served Penn as a trustee and was emeritus chair of the Board of Overseers at Penn Arts & Sciences.

Korea Foundation

The Korea Foundation Professorships were established by the Korea Foundation in 1997.

Gustave C. Kuemmerle, C’1898

Upon his death in 1957, Gustave C. Kuemmerle, C’1898, left the bulk of his estate to the University of Pennsylvania.

Leonard A. Lauder, W’54

Leonard A. Lauder, W’54, is a University of Pennsylvania Emeritus Trustee and co-founder and Governor of the Lauder Institute.

Nina Lea

The Henry Charles Lea Professorship in History was established in 1928 through the estate of Nina Lea in memory of her father, Henry Charles Lea (1825-1909), a noted Philadelphia historian, publisher, activist and civic reformer.

Jerry Lee

The Jerry Lee Assistant Professorship in Criminology was established in 2003 by Jerry Lee through The Jerry Lee Foundation to support the recruitment of faculty in the field of criminology.

Subbarao Makineni

Subbarao Makineni established the Hirschmann-Makineni Professorship in Chemistry in 1993 in honor of his longtime friend and colleague Ralph Hirschmann.

Howard S. Marks, W’67

The Howard Marks Professorship in Economic History was established in 2012 by Howard S. Marks, W’67, and his wife, Nancy.

McLean Contributionship

The R. Jean Brownlee Endowed Term Chair was established by the McLean Contributionship under the direction of the late William L. McLean, III and his wife.

Robert L. McNeil, Jr.

The late Robert L. McNeil, Jr. established this directorship in 1994 in honor of the McNeil Center’s founding director, Richard S. Dunn.

Ruth Meltzer

The late Ruth Meltzer established this Directorship in Jewish Studies in 2001.

Margy Ellin Meyerson, G’93

This chair was endowed by Margy Ellin Meyerson, G’93, in memory of her husband, Penn President Emeritus Martin Meyerson, HON’70.

Andrea Mitchell, CW’67

Andrea Mitchell, CW’67 and her husband, Alan Greenspan, HON’98, have endowed two University Professorships.

Roy F. and Jeannette P. Nichols

The Roy F. and Jeannette P. Nichols Chairs of American History were established by the late Roy and Jeannette Nichols, longtime members of the history faculty.

Penn Museum

The Penn Museum established these two chairs to honor the legacy and contributions of Robert H. Dyson, Jr. and Eckley Brinton Coxe, Jr. Dyson, a noted archaeologist, teacher, and administrator served Penn for over forty years, including a twelve-year term as director of the Penn Museum.

Richard C. Perry, W’77

Richard Perry, W’77, gave the inaugural gift in support of the Penn Integrates Knowledge (PIK) initiative, a cornerstone of President Amy Gutmann’s vision for propelling Penn from excellence to eminence.

Arthur Hobson Quinn

This chair was established anonymously in 2002 and named in memory of Arthur Hobson Quinn, an 1894 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania who went on to become an English professor and preeminent scholar of American drama.

Donald T. Regan, Hon’72

This professorship is named for the late Donald T. Regan, Hon’72 who had an impressive career as an executive at Merrill Lynch, secretary of the treasury, and chief of staff for President Ronald Reagan.

G. Frederick Roll, W’34

This professorship was established through the bequest of G. Frederick Roll, W’34 and is named in honor of Francis E. Johnston, a biological anthropologist and an emeritus professor of anthropology at Penn.

Thomas Alexander Scott

The Thomas A. Scott Professorship of Mathematics was established in 1881 by Thomas Alexander Scott, who served as the nation’s assistant secretary of war from 1861 until 1862 and later became president of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Henry Seybert

This chair is one of the oldest endowed chairs at Penn Arts & Sciences, having been established in 1883 through the estate of Henry Seybert.

David Shapiro, GM’47

This chair was established in 1992 by the late David Shapiro, GM ’47, in memory of his daughter, Frances Shapiro-Weitzenhoffer, C65.

The Sheerr Family

The Stanley I. Sheerr Term Professorship in the Social Sciences is named for the late Stanley I. Sheerr, W’37, the former chairman of Crown Textile Company.

Florence Sayre Skinner

Florence Sayre Skinner established this chair in 1967 in memory of her husband, James M. Skinner, ChE’11, to recognize a scholar for his or her contributions to science.

Society of Alumni

One of the older endowed professorships at Penn Arts & Sciences, this chair was established in 1914 by the Society of Alumni to support the study of Greek.

Saul P. Steinberg, W’59

The late Saul P. Steinberg, W’59 was an Emeritus Trustee of the University of Pennsylvania and Chair Emeritus of the Board of Overseers at the Wharton School.

Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania

The Sheldon and Lucy Hackney Professorship in History was created in 1993 by the University’s Board of Trustees in honor of Sheldon Hackney, then the outgoing president of Penn, and his wife, Lucy, for their many years of devoted service to the University.

Fredrick J. Warren, ME’60, WG’61

Fredrick J. Warren, ME’60, WG’61 created this chair in 1989 to support a Penn Arts & Sciences faculty member with expertise in demography and population studies.

M. Mark and Esther K. Watkins

The late M. Mark and Esther K. Watkins established this chair in 1969 to support an accomplished teacher who shows potential as a leader in his or her field.

George A. Weiss, W’65, HON’14

In 2010, George A. Weiss, W’65, HON’14, together with his wife, Lydia, endowed four Penn Integrates Knowledge University Professorships, adding to his extensive philanthropic legacy of support for Penn’s highest priorities.

Friends of John Welsh

The John Welsh Centennial Professorship in History and English Literature was created in 1877 and was one of the first three named professorships endowed at Penn.

Charles K. Williams, GR’78, HON’97

The Morris Russell and Josephine Chidsey Williams Professorship in Roman Architecture was established in 1988 by Charles K. Williams, GR’78, HON’97, in honor of his parents.

Paul C. Williams, W’67

Paul C. Williams, W’67, established the Robert I. Williams Endowed Term Chair in memory of his father, and the Patricia M. Williams Term Chair in honor of his mother.

Dick Wolf, C’69

Dick Wolf, C’69 established this professorship in 2007, he has also generously supported the Cinema Studies program at Penn Arts & Sciences.

James L. Wood, C’1887

This chair was established in 1947 through a bequest from James L. Wood, C’1887 in memory of his mother, Mary Amanda Wood. James Wood was a well-known landscape artist.

William Zellerbach, W’42

The late William Zellerbach, W’42, former University Trustee, created this chair in 1977 to support a prominent scholar whose public policy work is innovative and has humanistic and social relevance.

Skip to toolbar