2017's Sociology Graduation Celebration (Photo Credit: Shannon Crane).

I am a dedicated and energetic teacher, and enjoy teaching a diverse selection of courses.  At the undergraduate level, my classes have ranged from a 25-student writing intensive course in Religion and Society to a 400 student Introduction to Sociology.  My all-time favorite undergraduate course is my 80 student S100: Introduction to Research Methods in Sociology.  I am often rewarded by students telling me that I have forever changed the way that they understand how “to do” sociology after taking S100.

I benefitted from incredible mentoring at Berkeley from Ann Swidler, Mike Hout and Kim Voss. I try to take lessons from their support of me and pay them forward with my own students, both undergraduate and graduate. This is a picture from Ann’s recent retirement party at the American Sociological Association meeting in Montreal.

Working with graduate students – whether teaching the required research methods course for my department, advising them on their research or collaborating with them on mine – is truly one of my greatest privileges and pleasures.  My students have been successful at studying a wide variety of religions in a wide variety of settings, including:

Sociology 604Graduate Research Methods: S604 is a general research methods course designed to introduce graduate students to the variety of methods sociologists use to pursue research, the relative advantages and disadvantages of those methods, the logics of good research design, and the relationship between argument and evidence.

Sociology 100Introduction to Social Research: S100 is a general research methods designed to introduce undergraduates to the variety of methods social scientists use to pursue research.  S100 fulfills the school’s quantitative requirement and is required or accepted for a host of interdisciplinary majors, including HSOC and Communications, as well as sociology.

Sociology 239Religion and Society: S239 is an undergraduate elective course that begins with the prominent theories in the sociology of religion and then requires students to apply those theories to empirical cases.

“In Class, the Audience Weighs In,” by Katie Hafner

CTL Teaching with Technology Discussion with Paul Heiney and Melissa Wilde