Bob Lucid, mentor: photo & 5-minute audio clip

The late Bob Lucid (Bob hired me, mentored me & later secured 3805 Locust Walk as a site for what become the Writers House) spoke in stunning, seemingly aimless periodic sentences. This photo was taken just after I interviewed him as the Writers House turned 10 years old in 2006. And here are 5 remarkable minutes of Bob talking during that interview:

https://media.sas.upenn.edu/writershouse/10th-anniversary/album/Lucid-Bob_KWH10th_the-idea-of-a-collective.mp3

(Note that he begins by saying “Architecture is destiny,” one of his favorite, and truest, of Penn truths.)

For Writers House trivia fans: our first Program Coordinator—Shawn Walker—lived at the Writers House (on the third floor) and had her cat with her all the time. This little creature had been one of Shawn’s mom’s many felines and she became the Writers House cat. Yes, a cat lived at KWH. And its name was… “Lucid.” (“Lucy” for short.)  Shawn revered Bob Lucid as much as I and many others did.

So many of Bob’s radical ideas about learning-through-living informed our first plans for what would happen at 3805 Locust.

You may also like...