- Translation submissions include original translations of ancient texts from the original Greek, Latin, or other ancient language.
- Research paper submissions include academic research papers that follow the appropriate stylistic and structural conventions applicable to humanities research papers. Please see “Guidelines” for more details regarding expectations for research paper submissions.
- Article submissions include articles regarding topics in Classics that take a different form than a translation or traditional research paper. Such articles may take the form of an entertainment piece, an opinion piece, a personal narrative, an editorial, or another format.
- Events submissions include articles discussing and/or reviewing recent events within the University of Pennsylvania’s Department of Classical Studies. Such articles may take the form of an interview with a faculty member or a student, a review of a colloquium, talk, or course, or another format.
- Art submissions include original works of art regarding topics in Classics. Discentes accepts artwork of all media types, including visual art, video, music, and mixed-media. (Video or music submissions are eligible for online publication only).
- We accept submissions from undergraduate and graduate students from all academic disciplines and all universities.
- Submissions should be no longer than 3,000 words.
- We recommend that undergraduates interested in submitting a thesis or Senior Research Paper submit a shortened version in line with this word limit. If an undergraduate wishes to submit their full thesis, Discentes will excerpt or shorten the piece at the discretion of the editors. If you require assistance with shortening your thesis, please email us at email@example.com.
- Research paper submissions should include a minimum of 1,500 words. Submissions that are not research papers may be shorter.
- Translation submissions should include a few sentences of commentary regarding the author’s intentions and/or goals.
- We encourage authors to include accompanying images and/or other media to complement their work.
- Following the submission of an article, an editor will contact the author with feedback and final edits, after which the author will have a three day period to respond to any edits ahead of publication.
Below, please submit a Google Docs link with open permissions in the “Google Drive Link” text box.
If you require assistance with preparing your work for publication on Discentes‘ online platform, please do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are submitting more than one submission, please submit each work individually.