The Clark Chair was established in 1902 by Edward White Clark and Clarence H. Clark. Both Edward and Clarence Clark were prominent Philadelphia financiers at the turn of the century. Clarence served as director of the Department of Archaeology at Penn, while Edward maintained a lifelong interest in archaeology and served as a trustee. The Clark Chair in Assyriology represents the culmination of their deep devotion to Penn and to the fields of archaeology and ancient studies.
Clarence H. Clark