Penn Arts & Sciences is pleased to recognize the generous donors who make these named positions possible.
The late Ambassador Walter H. Annenberg received Penn’s Alumni Award of Merit in 1991.
David C. Abrams, C’83, PAR’12, PAR’15, and Amy L. Abrams, PAR’12, PAR’15, established the Abrams Artists-in-Residence Fund at Penn Arts & Sciences in 2018.
Martin K. Alloy, W’62 and Lawrence J. Ansin, W’62 established this chair in 1987 to bring world-class scholars in international relations to Penn.
This chair was established in 1966 by the Avalon Foundation (now the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation) to support the study of the humanities.
Richard A. Axilrod, WG’85, and Nancy M. Axilrod, parents, have made a $2 million gift to establish the Axilrod Term Fund in Health and Inequality.
This directorship was established by Rebecka and Arie Belldegrun to support the Penn Arts & Sciences co-director of the Roy and Diana Vagelos Program in Life Sciences and Management.
Albert A. Berg established this professorship in 1951 through his estate to support the teaching of religious thought.
The late Janice Bers graduated from Penn with an education degree in 1939.
The Mitchell J. Blutt and Margo Krody Blutt Presidential Professorship is one of three Presidential Professorships established in 2017 by Mitchell J. Blutt, C’78, M’82, WG’87, and Margo Krody Blutt.
Anna, Harriet, and Maria Blanchard established the Blanchard Professorship in 1907 to advance research and study in the Department of Chemistry.
David and Mary Boies established this chair in 2003 in memory of Mr. Boies’s father, who was a high school history teacher.
The Robert S. Blank Presidential Professorship was established in 2017 by Nancy L. Blank in memory of her husband, Robert S. Blank, L’65. Mr. Blank was an Emeritus Trustee at Penn.
The Bok Family Professorship in the Humanities was established in 2007 by Roxanne Conisha Bok, C’81, Scott L. Bok, C’81, W’81, L’84, and the Bok Family Foundation.
The late Christopher H. Browne, C’69 served as the former chair of the Board of Overseers at Penn Arts & Sciences and as a Trustee of the University.
The Brush Family Professorship was established in 2008 by Karen Clark Brush, W’82 and David M. Brush, C’82.
The Calabi-Simons Professorship in Mathematics and Biology was established jointly by The Simons Foundation and Eugenio and Giuliana Calabi to recruit a faculty member to hold a joint appointment between the Departments of Biology and Mathematics.
The Clark Chair was established in 1902 by Edward White Clark and Clarence H. Clark.
The Class of 1939 Professorship was established in 1989 in conjunction with the Class of 1939’s 50th reunion, to support a distinguished professor in Penn Arts & Sciences.
The Class of 1940 Bicentennial Endowed Term Chair was established by the Class of 1940 at its fiftieth reunion to honor outstanding young professors at Penn.
The Class of 1942 established this endowed term chair at its 50th reunion to recognize Penn faculty members who have made significant contributions to both scholarship and undergraduate teaching.
The Class of 1965 Term Chair is one of five chairs established in 1990 in honor of their 25th Reunion.
Joseph M. Cohen, W’59 established this chair in 1990 to recognize a distinguished scholar in economics.
The College for Women Class of 1963 established this endowed term chair in 1989 to honor the role of women as scholars, teachers, and students at the University of Pennsylvania.
The Ella Darivoff Directorship in the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies was established in 2001 by Philip M. Darivoff, W’79, WG’85 and Betsy Marks Darivoff, C’79.
The DiMaura Chair was established by Paul W. DiMaura, C’65, and his wife, Karen.
The Charles and William L. Day Distinguished Professorship was created in 1973 with funds from the estate of Charles Day; a gift from William L. Day in honor of his father, Charles; and memorial gifts in honor of William L. Day.
The Donner Professorship of Physical Sciences was established in 1958 by the Donner Foundation, now known as the Independence Foundation.
The Elliman Faculty Fellows are being funded by a generous gift from former Penn Arts & Sciences Overseer David D. Elliman, C’73, WG’77, and his wife, Dr. Andrea Branch, through the Bawd Foundation.
The Abraham M. Ellis chair was created in 1954 by the Abraham M. and Rose Ellis Foundation.
The late Nan and James Farquhar, LAR’39, both prominent supporters of art history at Penn, established this professorship in art history in 1988.
The chair was established in 1993 by the John H. Fassitt Trust to support faculty member in Penn Arts & Sciences.
The late Richard L. Fisher, C’63, G’67, established this chair in 1989 to support a faculty member of outstanding character and ability with a particular interest in English.
This chair was established in 1892 through the bequest of Reese Wall Flower.
The Fox Professorships were established by the late Robert A. Fox, C’52, and his wife, Penny Grossman Fox, ED’53.
The Richard D. Green University Professorship is a gift of the late Richard D. Green, a 1952 graduate of The Wharton School.
This chair was established in honor of the late Thomas S. Gates, Jr., C’28, HON’56 in 1976.
The Stephen M. Gorn Family Assistant Professorship was established in 2008 by the Stephen M. Gorn Family Foundation for a preeminent scholar and teacher in the Department of English at Penn Arts & Sciences.
This chair was established in 2007 in memory of Sascha Jane Patterson Harvie by her late husband, Fred H. Harvie, a professor of Pediatrics at Penn.
This chair was established by Colonel Earle Hepburn, C’1913, L’1915 upon his death in 1985 at age 92.
Stephen J. Heyman, W’59, together with his wife, Barbara, created the Bess W. Heyman Professorship in 1989 to honor his mother and the I. George Heyman University Professorship in 2010 to honor his father.
Henry Daniel Jackson, C’86, W’86, and Stacey Jackson, parents, established the Stacey and Henry Jackson President’s Distinguished Professorship in 2016.
This professorship was established in 1995 by Elliot S. Jaffe, W’49 and his wife Roslyn Jaffe.
The Kahn chairs were established through a bequest by Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn.
Harry P. Kamen, C’54, established this chair in 2002 to support the study of economics.
This professorship was established by Edward W. Kane, C’71 and Martha J. Wallace to recruit or retain a preeminent scholar and teacher in the Department of English.
The late Herbert D. Katz, W’51, and Eleanor M. Katz were longtime supporters of Penn Arts & Sciences and Jewish Studies.
Paul K. Kelly, C’62, WG’64, established this chair in 2002 to honor an outstanding member of the English faculty who is committed to creating a culture of writing on campus.
The Kenan Professorships were established in 1970 to support scholars and teachers of distinction whose enthusiasm for learning, commitment to teaching, and interest in students make notable contributions to the undergraduate community.
The Davidson Kennedy chair was established in 1994 by the late Josephine Rankin Kennedy and is named in memory of her husband.
James Joo-Jin Kim, W ’59, G ’61, GR’63, established the James Joo-Jin Kim Professorship in Economics in 2001 to support a preeminent scholar and teacher in the Department of Economics.
The Langberg Professorships were established in 2002 through the bequest of Eugene L. Langberg, CCC ’42, G’45.
This professorship was created in 1991 in honor of Lawrence R. Klein, a Benjamin Franklin Professor Emeritus of Economics and Nobel laureate in economic sciences.
The David M. Knott Professorship of Global Politics and International Relations was established by David M. Knott, C’67, WG’73.
Cathy and Marc Lasry, parents, established two professorships to support faculty at Penn Arts & Sciences.
The late Natalie I. Koether, CW’61, L’65 served Penn as a trustee and was emeritus chair of the Board of Overseers at Penn Arts & Sciences.
The Jerry Lee Professorship in Criminology was established in 2003 by Jerry Lee through The Jerry Lee Foundation to support the recruitment of faculty in the field of criminology.
Leonard A. Lauder, W’54, is a University of Pennsylvania Emeritus Trustee and co-founder and Governor of the Lauder Institute.
This chair was established by the Honorable Ronald S. Lauder, W’65 in 1991.
The Korea Foundation Professorships were established by the Korea Foundation in 1997.
The Henry Charles Lea Professorship in History was established in 1928 through the estate of Nina Lea in memory of her father, Henry Charles Lea (1825-1909), a noted Philadelphia historian, publisher, activist and civic reformer.
Upon his death in 1957, Gustave C. Kuemmerle, C’1898, left the bulk of his estate to the University of Pennsylvania.
The Stephen A. Levin Family Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences was established by Stephen A. Levin, C’67, and Petra Levin.
The Howard Marks Professorship in Economic History was established in 2012 by Howard S. Marks, W’67, and his wife, Nancy.
The R. Jean Brownlee Endowed Term Chair was established by the McLean Contributionship under the direction of the late William L. McLean, III and his wife.
The late Robert L. McNeil, Jr. established this directorship in 1994 in honor of the McNeil Center’s founding director, Richard S. Dunn.
The late Ruth Meltzer established this Directorship in Jewish Studies in 2001.
This chair was endowed by Margy Ellin Meyerson, G’93, in memory of her husband, Penn President Emeritus Martin Meyerson, HON’70.
The Paul F. and Warren S. Miller Professorship was established by the late Paul F. Miller Jr., W’50, HON’81, and his wife, Ella Warren Shafer Miller, CW’51.
Andrea Mitchell, CW’67 and her husband, Alan Greenspan, HON’98, have endowed two University Professorships.
The late Florence R. C. Murray established this professorship through her charitable trust in 1990.
The Roy F. and Jeannette P. Nichols Chairs of American History were established by the late Roy and Jeannette Nichols, longtime members of the history faculty.
Daniel Och, W’82 and his wife, Jane, created the Daniel S. Och University Professorship in 2006.
The Penn Arts & Sciences’ Board of Advisors established two chairs in honor of former Deans.
The Penn Museum established these two chairs to honor the legacy and contributions of Robert H. Dyson, Jr. and Eckley Brinton Coxe, Jr. Dyson, a noted archaeologist, teacher, and administrator served Penn for over forty years, including a twelve-year term as director of the Penn Museum.
Richard Perry, W’77, gave the inaugural gift in support of the Penn Integrates Knowledge (PIK) initiative, a cornerstone of President Amy Gutmann’s vision for propelling Penn from excellence to eminence.
Julie Beren Platt, C’79 and Marc E. Platt, C’79, parents, generously support initiatives at Penn.
This chair was established anonymously in 2002 and named in memory of Arthur Hobson Quinn, an 1894 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania who went on to become an English professor and preeminent scholar of American drama.
This professorship is named for the late Donald T. Regan, Hon’72 who had an impressive career as an executive at Merrill Lynch, secretary of the treasury, and chief of staff for President Ronald Reagan.
The Rhodes-Thompson Chair was established in 1972 through the generosity of the late William W. Rhodes, C’1910 and Mr. and Mrs. Robert J. Thompson.
This professorship was established through the bequest of G. Frederick Roll, W’34 and is named in honor of Francis E. Johnston, a biological anthropologist and an emeritus professor of anthropology at Penn.
The Thomas A. Scott Professorship of Mathematics was established in 1881 by Thomas Alexander Scott, who served as the nation’s assistant secretary of war from 1861 until 1862 and later became president of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
The Rose Family Endowed Term Chair was established in 1996 by Gary D. Rose, C’67 and Karen Bress Rose, CW’67, GED’68.
Sheli Z. and Burton X. Rosenberg, C’63 established this professorship in 2007 to retain or recruit a preeminent scholar in the humanities.
Katherine Stein Sachs, CW’69, and the late Keith L. Sachs, W’67, established this professorship in 2005 to strengthen ties between the History of Art Department and the ICA.
Samuel D. Schack, C’74, GR’80 established this chair through his estate in 2010.
The Seaman Family University Professorship is a gift of Julie Breier Seaman, a 1986 graduate of the College of Arts and Sciences, and Jeffrey Seaman, a 1983 graduate of the Wharton School.
The late Bernard G. Segal, C’28, L’31, HON’69, and Geraldine R. Segal, ED’30, GR’78 established the Geraldine R. Segal Professorship in American Social Thought in 1978.
This chair is one of the oldest endowed chairs at Penn Arts & Sciences, having been established in 1883 through the estate of Henry Seybert.
This chair was established in 1992 by the late David Shapiro, GM ’47, in memory of his daughter, Frances Shapiro-Weitzenhoffer, C65.
The Stanley I. Sheerr Term Professorship in the Social Sciences is named for the late Stanley I. Sheerr, W’37, the former chairman of Crown Textile Company.
The Shoemakers established this professorship in 1989 in recognition of their commitment to the liberal arts at Penn and Sally Shoemaker’s service to the Penn Museum.
Lyn Silfen and the late David Silfen, C’66, endowed two David and Lyn Silfen University Professorships in 2006.
Florence Sayre Skinner established this chair in 1967 in memory of her husband, James M. Skinner, ChE’11, to recognize a scholar for his or her contributions to science.
The Madan Lal Sobti Chair for the Study of Contemporary India was established through the generosity of numerous alumni, parents, and friends of the University.
One of the older endowed professorships at Penn Arts & Sciences, this chair was established in 1914 by the Society of Alumni to support the study of Greek.
The late Saul P. Steinberg, W’59 was an Emeritus Trustee of the University of Pennsylvania and Chair Emeritus of the Board of Overseers at the Wharton School.
The Sheldon and Lucy Hackney Professorship in History was created in 1993 by the University’s Board of Trustees in honor of Sheldon Hackney, then the outgoing president of Penn, and his wife, Lucy, for their many years of devoted service to the University.
P. Roy Vagelos, a chemistry major who graduated from Penn in 1950 before going on to receive a medical degree from Columbia University, is the retired chairman and chief executive officer of Merck & Co.
The Ahuja Family Presidential Professorship was established in 2016 by Tania Maria Vital-Ahuja and Anilesh Ahuja, C’89, parents.
George H. Walker IV, C ’91, W ’91, WG ’92 established this chair in 2003 to recognize a member of Penn’s history faculty.
Fredrick J. Warren, ME’60, WG’61 created this chair in 1989 to support a Penn Arts & Sciences faculty member with expertise in demography and population studies.
The John Welsh Centennial Professorship in History and English Literature was created in 1877 and was one of the first three named professorships endowed at Penn.
In 2010, George A. Weiss, W’65, HON’14, together with his wife, Lydia, endowed four Penn Integrates Knowledge University Professorships, adding to his extensive philanthropic legacy of support for Penn’s highest priorities.
This chair was established in 1947 through a bequest from James L. Wood, C’1887 in memory of his mother, Mary Amanda Wood. James Wood was a well-known landscape artist.
The late M. Mark and Esther K. Watkins established this chair in 1969 to support an accomplished teacher who shows potential as a leader in his or her field.
The Morris Russell and Josephine Chidsey Williams Professorship in Roman Architecture was established in 1988 by Charles K. Williams, GR’78, HON’97, in honor of his parents.
The late Edwin B. and Leonore R. Williams established this chair through their estate in 1982.
Paul C. Williams, W’67, established the Robert I. Williams Endowed Term Chair in memory of his father, and the Patricia M. Williams Term Chair in honor of his mother.
Dick Wolf, C’69 established this professorship in 2007, he has also generously supported the Cinema Studies program at Penn Arts & Sciences.
Nancy Yang, W’92 is the Founder of Asian Charity Services, a Hong Kong NGO dedicated to providing NGO leaders with pro bono consulting and training to grow their organizations.
The late William Zellerbach, W’42, former University Trustee, created this chair in 1977 to support a prominent scholar whose public policy work is innovative and has humanistic and social relevance.