Fulbright-Hays GPA in South Africa is now accepting applications!
The application deadline is: Wednesday, January 31, 2024
The Project Dates are: Thursday, June 13 – Thursday, August 8 2024
The University of Pennsylvania will run the Fulbright-Hays Zulu GPA in South Africa for students of Zulu across American institutions to study intermediate-advanced Zulu in South Africa.
The Fulbright-Hays Zulu Group Project Abroad (GPA) will be held in Zululand, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
The eight week Fulbright-Hays Zulu GPA in South Africa is run by the University of Pennsylvania, in affiliation with the University of Zululand at KwaDlangezwa campus in KwaZulu-Natal. The Zulu GPA is a national, federally-funded program designed to provide students of Zulu from across U.S. institutions of higher education with an immersion opportunity to advance their competency in the Zulu language and culture in South Africa among native speakers of Zulu. The project is funded by the U.S. Department of Education Fulbright-Hays grant with partial support from the University of Pennsylvania.
Applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens, nationals, or permanent residents of the United States
- currently enrolled in graduate studies concentrating on Africa, or
- undergraduates currently in their sophomore, junior or senior year and focusing on Africa
The following will be the criteria for the selection of participants:
- Overall previous academic performance;
- Superior performance in at least two semesters of a university-level series of Zulu/Ndebele/Swati/Xhosa courses, or the equivalent; Letters of recommendation that portray a strong candidate; Applicant’s statement of purpose, including professional and academic goals; Intermediate-low level of competency in Zulu/Ndebele/Swati/Xhosa on an ACTFL scale; and, Academic/career commitment to African Studies.
Detailed information about the program can be found under Program Information section. To apply, use our Online Application. For any additional information and/or questions please email Dr. Audrey N Mbeje
Foreign Languages & Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship is Accepted!
For more information on the Fulbright-Hays Zulu GPA please contact:
Audrey N Mbeje, Ph.D.
Director, Fulbright-Hays Zulu GPA
Tel. (215) 898-4299