Our services increase organizations’ effectiveness by equipping leaders with the knowledge, skills, and tools they need to achieve greater impact in the social and public sectors. We specialize in the following services, which can be customized to meet your organization’s unique needs:
- Research and Evaluation Services
- Learning and Development Services
Research and Evaluation Services
We believe research and evaluation is only useful if equity is at the forefront, and the results are used to inform decisions in an ongoing, timely way. Our unique approach to research and evaluation focuses not only on data collection and analysis but also on developing a customized evaluation strategy and plan for using data to inform learning and action. We believe evaluation should be embedded in an organization’s context and responsive to community needs. For more information on how we incorporate equity into our evaluation practices, see Our Commitment to Equity.
Examples of our research and evaluation services can be found on our Featured Projects page.
Evaluation Strategy Development & Planning
We work with organizations to strengthen the underlying theory and logic behind their work. Our team has helped dozens of social and public sector organizations build their theories of change and logic models, and use these tools to inform comprehensive evaluation planning.
Logic Model Development
A logic model is a tool that provides a picture of how a program works and the key assumptions underlying a particular program or project design. Logic models link outcomes with program activities/processes and identify the assumptions undergirding change. We help organizations develop a logic model that captures information on program implementation and impact.
Theory of Change Development
A theory of change is a strategic blueprint that outlines the ultimate change an organization is seeking to achieve and all the conditions that are needed to bring about that desired change. When developing an organizational theory of change, it’s critical to have a deep understanding of the problem you’re trying to solve. This requires thinking about the intended impact you seek, as well as the need you are trying to address, and whose needs your programs are designed to engage and benefit. We help organizations develop a theory of change that considers these questions and links key components and services to desired outcomes. For more information on our theory of changes process, please see our Theory of Change Overview Guide.
We help organizations develop comprehensive evaluation plans that include the following:
- Evaluation goals. Clearly defined goals for what organizations hope to gain from engaging in evaluation.
- Key evaluation questions and indicators. Clearly defined questions that the evaluation will seek to answer.
- Evaluation design. An overview of the proposed evaluation design and a discussion of the tradeoffs between feasibility and rigor in the choice of the design.
- A detailed description of the methods and sampling strategy. A clearly articulated plan for how, and from whom, data will be collected.
- A data analysis and reporting plan. A clearly articulated plan for how data will be analyzed and reported, both to internal team members and external stakeholders.
- Evaluation budget and timeline. The costs and projected timelines for the proposed evaluation services.
Research, Policy, & Program Evaluation
ImpactED specializes in mixed-methods research and evaluation – leveraging quantitative and qualitative sources of data to help our clients learn about the implementation and impact of programs and policies.
Comprehensive Primary or Secondary Research
- Develop a customized strategy and plan for research. We support organizations in refining research questions and developing a comprehensive plan to answer those questions.
- Collect and analyze data. We use existing data and new sources of qualitative and quantitative data to learn about key issues affecting the population you serve, what they think, and what they need from your organization.
- Use data to inform action. We help organizations develop plans to leverage research to inform internal programming as well as external communications.
Customized Program or Policy Evaluations
- Develop a customized strategy and plan for evaluation. We support organizations in developing a customized strategy for mapping program design and objectives and measuring progress towards key outcomes.
- Collect and analyze data. We conduct rigorous evaluations that which leverage qualitative and quantitative sources of data to understand the implementation and impact of programs, projects, and initiatives.
- Use data to inform action. We help organizations develop data use plans that inform internal programmatic improvement and deliver high-quality reports that support organizations to tell their story of impact.
Learning and Development Services
Based at the University of Pennsylvania, ImpactED has access to extensive infrastructure for program development and facilitation of adult learning. We believe that learning should be responsive, practical, and collaborative. Our trainings are customized to meet the needs of our participants and are grounded in key principles of instructional design and adult learning.
Evaluation Capacity Building Services
Our evaluation capacity-building programs and workshops help organizations assess and strengthen their impact on the communities they serve by enhancing measurement and evaluation skills. Our supports are designed to provide targeted and collaborative opportunities for applied learning. They are offered in a hybrid format, with both online and in-person components, and are aligned to key elements of our evaluation framework.
Examples of our evaluation capacity building services can be found on our Featured Projects page.
Topic-specific workshops are for individuals or groups interested in learning more about a particular topic. While workshops typically focus on a particular dimension of learning and evaluation work, such as strategy, data collection and analysis, or data use, workshops can be tailored to the needs of the individual or group. Workshop topics include, but are not limited to:
- Logic Models/Theory of Change
- Data Collection
- Data Analysis
- Data to Action Planning
- Building/Sustaining an Organizational Learning Culture
Our workshop series offer individuals and groups an opportunity to delve deeper into a topic over the course of several weeks. These series typically include two to four learning sessions, each of which provides individual and peer learning opportunities. A workshop series is typically centered around one of the key elements of our evaluation framework, but similar to individual workshops, can be tailored to the needs of an individual or group:
- Evaluation Strategy
- Data Collection & Analysis
- Data Use
- Organizational Context & Culture
Organizations attend six group learning sessions on the following topics – logic models or theories of change, indicators, data collection, data analysis, building a data culture, and storytelling. Each of these learning sessions includes individual and peer learning opportunities. In addition, each group has access to individualized coaching support.
Individualized Coaching Support
While individualized coaching support is a core element of the cohort-based experience, it is also a possible addition to any of the offerings described above. Once specific needs are identified, our coaches can provide targeted support for evaluation strategy, data collection and analysis, and data use.
Leadership Development Services
Our leadership development programs and workshops are deeply collaborative and in keeping with LPS’ mission, encourage lifelong learning relevant to a changing global society. We offer customizable training programs that provide learners with the skills, confidence, and support they need to influence change in their organizations. They are offered in a hybrid format, with both online and in-person components.
Examples of our leadership development services can be found on our Featured Projects page.
Board Diversity and Governance Training Program
Our DiverseForce On Boards program, which we run in partnership with DiverseForce, is designed to train professionals of color on board governance and to facilitate their placement on governing boards. Individuals attend group learning sessions drawing from board governance, leadership development, and diversity, equity and inclusion frameworks. Each of these learning sessions includes individual and peer learning opportunities. The sessions are designed for participants to learn a comprehensive set of skills, develop in their personal leadership, and increase their social capital. We customize our services by implementing an individual assessment that allows our team to develop a clear understanding of an individual’s unique leadership style. Our instructors are experts in their field and lead dynamic and interactive sessions on the following session topics:
- Overview of Nonprofit Boards
- Legal Roles & Responsibilities
- Strategic Planning & Assessment
- Finance & Accounting Fundamentals
- Organizational Fundraising
- 21st Century Best Practices & Challenges
Peer Learning Communities
Our peer learning communities offer an opportunity to delve deeper into a topic(s) over the course of several weeks. The purpose of these communities is to provide a forum for leaders to share and learn from their peers. Leaders follow a process to clarify the topics to be discussed and engage in problem solving and solution generation.