Student Voices

Student Voices

Voices from Our Students

• Message from Victoria Green さん and Eugene Otero さん (JPAN 011, 012, 111, Fall 16 – )

• Message from Wesley Chowさん (JPAN 021,022 Fall 2015 – )
    Growing up in Hong Kong, I have always been infatuated with Japanese culture in the form of anime and design due to its strong influence on my home city. However, it was not until when I went solo backpacking in Japan for three weeks without knowing a single word of Japanese after Freshman year, that I realized the importance of learning the language to be in touch with real Japanese people.
    I decided to take Intensive Beginning Japanese the following semester. Thanks to the heart and soul poured out by caring professors, I was able to develop a strong foundation in kana and grammar, greatly complimenting my existing knowledge in Chinese kanji. Through the immersive classes, I was also able to get exposure to different aspects of Japanese culture and mannerisms  that I wouldn’t have otherwise noticed.
    Armed with the foundation I gained from Japanese classes (up to 312), I travelled frequently to Japan in the past two years and realized my new ability to communicate fairly fluently with native speakers, even making a few friends around the country. Most recently, I made the leap of faith to attend Boston Career Forum, a recruiting event meant for Japanese-English bilinguals, and managed to snag a job offer in Tokyo through rounds of interviews conducted in business Japanese. I would highly recommend going through the Japanese Language Program, no matter if you just want to understand more nuances of Japanese culture, or seriously considers pursuing a new life and career in Japan.

• Message from Allison Capronさん (JPAN 011, 012, 111, 112, 211, Fall 2015 – )
    I first became acquainted with Japanese when my older brothers exposed me to Japanese movies and music. After developing a strong interest for Japanese entertainment, I wanted to study the language. Unfortunately, my high school did not offer Japanese so coming to Penn and learning about the Japanese program was a huge plus for me.
    Learning Japanese has been a wonderful experience and it has been one of my favorite classes at Penn. The professors are wonderful and really care about the students. They incorporate teachings on Japanese culture into daily lessons in order to give a holistic learning experience. They are kind and supportive and will answer any questions and ensure that everyone understands the content. In addition, class is always interesting because of the engaging discussions and funny conversations. Except for test days, I always look forward to class and practicing my Japanese.
    Furthermore, I’ve been able to practice Japanese outside of class. I have a conversation partner through the English Language Program and I can speak with a native Japanese person. In addition, I was able to go on a subsidized spring break trip to Japan through a Wharton program. I believe that I was accepted into the program because of my interest in Japanese and the courses I took. The trip was really fun and helpful as it solidified my decision to study abroad in the spring. While I think that my Japanese is still bad, I have learned a lot and I am excited to learn more. Even though it is difficult, I am working hard to improve my language skills.

• Message from Barbara Chen さん (JPAN 021, 022, 311, 312, 481, Fall 2015 – )
    Learning Japanese at Penn has been an incredible experience. Penn’s Japanese language instructors are phenomenal, and their expertise and personality really add a new level to the learning experience.
    The first Japanese course I took was Intensive Japanese. While it demanded a lot of time, it was one of my favorite courses I’ve taken at Penn. Unlike other classes at Penn, this class was always full of fun discussions and laughter, so every class was unique in its own ways. Knowing this, I always looked forward to each class. In addition, my sensei always tried to incorporate current Japanese events or unique aspects of Japanese culture that relate to the course content, so it really takes the learning experience out of the classroom to the real world.
    JPAN 021/022 also gave me a solid foundation in Japanese and the confidence to really put my Japanese to use. As someone who self-studied Japanese (and I studied only hiragana, katakana, and kanji readings) in high school, JPAN 021/022 was the perfect class for me. Before the course, I knew absolutely no Japanese grammar. After that, I visited Japan for three weeks, and to my surprise, I could navigate my way through Japan perfectly well – whether it be understanding local bus timetables, asking for directions, or just casually speaking with other native Japanese speakers.
    Before coming to Penn, I dreamed about learning Japanese but never had the opportunity to do so in a classroom setting. This is my third year of taking Japanese at Penn, and I have become more and more confident in my Japanese skills. Three years ago, I would’ve never imagined that I would be able to speak and understand Japanese at the level I do now. But thanks to Penn’s Japanese Language Program, I’ve accomplished more than I imagined.

• Message from Roger Lee さん (JPAN 011, 012, 111, Fall 2015 – )

Learning Japanese has undoubtedly been a highlight of my time here at the University of Pennsylvania. In high school, I took a trip to Kyoto, and fell in love with the country, so the comprehensiveness of Penn’s Japanese program was a key factor in my decision to attend Penn.
One of the greatest strengths of the Japanese program is that the professors actively tailor the course content to the wide array of student interests. For example, in my beginning Japanese course, I met students of Japanese descent, artists drawing inspiration from ancient Japanese wood-prints, as well as marketing majors seeking to enhance their professional understanding of Japanese business culture. As a result, I always looked forward to class because of the fascinating discussions we had. In fact, some of my best friends at Penn are ones I have made through Japanese class!
Outside of class, I am involved with the ELP program which connects Japanese exchange students with native English speakers. I am immensely grateful for the kindness of my professors who have even volunteered their time to help me navigate the cultural nuances of using Japanese outside of a classroom setting. The Japanese language community at Penn is definitely tightly knit, and you can find us trying out the newest Japanese BBQ restaurant, or exploring a tea garden at the University arboretum. Despite our diverse backgrounds, the professors encourage us to find ways to integrate Japanese culture into our lives, and I would say that they have been quite successful!

Skip to toolbar