Welcome to the Penn Korean Language Program website!
The Korean Language Program at the University of Pennsylvania currently offers a complete curriculum in Korean language with 18 classes, covering five full years of Korean language courses. To see all Korean courses offered in Fall 2018, click HERE.
Majoring in Korean Studies (Requirements : 14 c.u.)
- Language Requirement: 6 c.u.
- EALC003 and Second Gateway Course: 2 c.u.
- EALC Seminar 200-level: 1 c.u.
- Electives: 4 c.u.
Minoring in Korean Studies (Requirements: 8 c.u.)
- *Language Requirement: 4 c.u.
- Both basic language courses and advanced courses in literature in the original language count toward this requirement.
- EALC 081 (Korean History)
- Electives: 3 c.u.
Language Certificate in Korean
Students may choose to pursue a Language Certificate in Korean in addition to completion of the College’s Foreign Language Requirement. Completion of the certificate will be noted in the student’s transcript at the time of graduation. The minimum criteria for completion of the requirement for a Language Certificate are:
- Completion of three CUs in advanced-level (200 level and/or beyond) courses taught in Korean
- Minimum of B+ average in the three courses (the courses may not be taken on a pass/fail basis)
- Subject to departmental approval
Ask your current Korean instructor for more information.