Mona Hagmagid

Favorite philosophy course:

Phil 005 — Hardest class I’ve ever taken, but the most rewarding! By the end, I enjoyed even taking my exams by the end of it, after starting off the semester in tears during lecture because I simply couldn’t “get it”. Hard work and persistence paid off, and I am so grateful to the TAs and Dr. Weinstein!

Favorite non-philosophy course:

Anthropology 337 – In this course I learned about the practice of ethnographic research and was able to design and conduct my own ethnographic study on the relationship between race and faith for African American Muslim Converts. This class informed much of the rest of my time at Penn, and has been a central inspiration in my pursuit graduate studies.

Groups you were involved with at Penn:

Penn Sapelo: A Black Muslim Student Organization; Penn Muslim Students Association; The Excelano Project

Favorite Penn memory:

Being able to view some of the Penn Museum’s collections of West African Muslim’s art and artifacts, through a class called Africa Before 1800. There I was able to interact with tablets where the Quran had been written for memorization and study, and old military garments with protective verses of the Holy Quran written on them. I felt so much pride and admiration observing the legacy of my ancestors, and being able to share that moment with my peers!

Post-graduation plans:

Attending the University of Michigan Ann Arbor in the fall to pursue my PhD in American Culture, focusing on the history of American Muslims

Leave a message for your fellow philosophers:

You are have chosen the best major, and no matter what path you chart in the future, the skills you have collected throughout this journey will serve you well. Remember, with great honor comes great responsibility. Remember to demonstrate humility, and to use your brilliance to inspire, lead, and heal others, not to become argumentative and hurtful with your language towards others. No matter where you go, remember the most vulnerable, remember those in need, apply your critical and careful eye to the systems and structures around you and think, always, what you can do for others. And with a Penn Philosophy degree, you can do a whole lot. I am confident of that.