We will be holding a hackathon to foster the understanding and exploration of data visualization for social science research. All members of the Department of Sociology and the Graduate Group in Demography are encouraged to register. Participants may work in teams or individually and are welcome to bring their own projects or to join an existing team.
Research topics for projects supported by PSC include:
- The kinship pattern of mass unemployment during COVID-19
- Geographic distribution of housing, labor, and environmental risks related to COVID-19
- Changes in social statuses of occupations since 1850
- How home equity mediates racial disparities in wealth accumulation between cohorts
- Other topics proposed by hackers
Technical questions participants will address include:
- What is the best way to present your data?
- What visualization tools best suit the kind of data you have?
Projects that will be supported in this hackathon will be eligible to win prizes and will be invited to present at the next Penn Data Science Hangout.
New PSC Slack Channel for sharing research, asking coding questions, and more.
- May 11, 2020: Registration Opens
- May 13 , 2020: Project Consultation Session, 3-5 PM
(Book Your Appointment & Join Zoom at Your Consultation Time)
- May 20, 2020: Deadline Extended, 5 PM
- May 22, 2020: Registrant Announcement
(Participants will be informed they have been selected)
- May 29, 2020: Mini Hackathon on Zoom, 9 AM – 5 PM
|9 am – 9:30 am||Welcome and breakfast|
|9:30 am – 10:30 am||Project introductions and team formation|
|10:30 am – 12:30 pm||Hack|
|12:30 pm – 1 pm||Lunch|
|1 pm – 4 pm||Hack|
|4 pm – 5 pm||Present on topics|
Sponsored by the University of Pennsylvania Population Studies Center.