ViacomCBS: Creative + Strategy
Creative + Strategy is ViacomCBS’s award-winning in-house advertising, marketing and branding studio.
We provide strategic creative solutions from start to finish — with all of our departments (brand strategy, copy, design, video, digital, account services, production and more) — on a diverse range of projects including:
- branding and brand strategy
- advertising and marketing campaigns
- digital/social media
- displays and installations
- scripting and speechwriting
- identity development (naming, logos, taglines, etc.)
- event invitations and cards
- business presentations
- and much more
We partner closely with other ViacomCBS departments and business units to ensure that all work is true to the company’s identity while also driving its business objectives. Ever on the pulse, Creative + Strategy helps to promote the one-of-a-kind culture that embraces and fosters talent, celebrates diversity and works to merge innovation, technology and creativity to be a worldwide leader in entertainment.
What to expect
Editorial interns work alongside writers, and in tandem with designers, digital, video and other team members, on projects including brainstorming ideas for ads, videos, social media and more; cranking out taglines and names; research; and various other tasks to support the group.
Interns attend meetings and follow the creative process from concept to completion. Plus, they work with fellow interns on an intern creative project that helps move ViacomCBS as a whole forward.
One thing to know before applying: This is not a journalism position. However, those interested in journalism are welcome to apply as long as they are interested in learning about — and potentially pursuing a career in — creative marketing, advertising and/or branding.
What else can you expect:
- Opportunities to work with and learn from smart, savvy professionals who thrive on creativity, humor and strategic thinking
- Being challenged to flex your creative muscles, dive into new forms of writing, and sharpen your communication skills in a fast-paced environment
- Deep discussions about pop divas, blockbusters, celebrity sightings, great music, lame music, social media fails, social media wins, the internet of everything, and whatever else you can bring to the conversation
What We Bring:
We look to immerse candidates in every phase of what we do –– from the creation of advertising to branding to strategic partnering to the day-to-day functioning of a corporate workplace –– with the mission of allowing interns unique opportunities to accrue valuable experience, to have fun, to express themselves, and to hone the skill sets that will benefit them in the real world.
What YOU Bring:
First and foremost, we want someone with a passion for writing, who is interested in learning about branding, advertising, copywriting (both business- and consumer-targeted work) and other aspects of what we do.
The IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Will be interested in and active in the craft of writing, whether it’s through fiction, poetry, journalism, essay writing, blogs and social media, etc.
- Will be able to articulate (in writing and in person) their viewpoints, ideas and creativity in healthy, clear and constructive ways.
- Should bring a fresh approach to writing and communication — for example someone who lives for entertainment and pop culture, someone with unique experience(s), an offbeat or creative way of looking at the world, a great sense of humor, etc.
- Should be motivated, quick-thinking, creative and able to function well in teams and on his/her own.
- Must be flexible and understand that the internship requires playing many different roles— they will be responsible for a variety of tasks ranging from the mundane to the exciting, but they should approach it all with enthusiasm and a can-do attitude.
SUMMER 2021 PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS:
- Start/End Date(s): June 7th – August 13th OR June 21st – August 27th
- Program Length: 10 weeks
- Weekly Commitment: 35-40 hours/week
- Format: Program will most likely be 100% virtual but has not yet been confirmed
We Paid them to say this!
“My internship at Creative & Strategy was a dream internship. Under the guidance of patient and encouraging mentors, I was able to work on a variety of different projects and build a vast portfolio. I felt like I was doing important work and that my ideas were taken seriously by the team. Every day at Creative & Strategy was fun, creatively challenging, and incredibly rewarding.”
– Eliana Doft, 2020 RealArts@Penn Intern
“My time at Catalyst was such a joyful and educational experience. I am still in contact with several of the young women whom I worked in close proximity with, and consider them friends as well as former colleagues. The work environment is so positive, and everyone on the team was generous with their time and eager to help me learn. Additionally–and perhaps most importantly–the skills I gained during my 10 weeks were/are transferable to nearly any arena or field.”
– Francesca Reznik, 2019 RealArts@Penn Intern
“I was viewed as an integral member of the editorial team from day one. If you’re looking to work in an environment filled with passionate people who always bring their A-game, then look no further than Catalyst. Throughout the summer, I was encouraged to become involved in a variety of projects that were fun, challenging and impactful. From writing headlines for company initiatives to researching trends in the media industry to contemplating ideas for my intern project, there was never a dull moment. Contemplating ideas to pitch for projects with different teams across the department was my favorite part of the experience — there’s nothing better than the moment when a good idea just clicks (along with a good laugh in the ‘Zen den’). I also had access to unbelievable mentors both inside and outside of my department, career-building workshops, intern parties (did I mention the donuts stuffed with ice-cream yet?!?), and networking events. I could not have had a better Summer than I had at 1515 Broadway and will cherish this opportunity forever!”
– Lauren Donato, 2018 RealArts@Penn Intern
“I’ve never worked in an environment as open and encouraging as Catalyst. I was able to branch out and work with teams across the department on a variety of projects. The brainstorms and pitch meetings were so fun. I just had so much freedom to get involved with whatever I was curious about. I learned a ton about copywriting — which I had never done before — and my general writing skills definitely improved. I also learned a lot about the company and the broader entertainment industry itself! And yeah, the position was super creative. Having worked at other places, I can say that it’s a truly special experience when you look forward to going to work in the morning. I always looked forward to starting my day at Catalyst and I’ll treasure my internship there forever!
– Micaela Tenenbaum, 2017 RealArts@Penn Intern
“Working at Catalyst was an experience unlike any I’ve ever had before. I got to bounce ideas off other copywriters while coming up with new and creative ways to showcase the company and its brands. Whether it was pitching concepts for our intern project, helping develop and launch the departments Instagram account, participating in naming projects and brand strategy brainstorms, my internship had me rethink my creative approach to writing.”
– Harley Geffner, 2016 RealArts@Penn Intern
“I could not have had a better summer working with Catalyst. It was an unparalleled opportunity. I thought working at such a large company might be overwhelming, but on the contrary, this internship gave me a voice and let me have an impact. I loved the work that I did–whether it was collaborating with other interns on various independent projects, hashing out copy for brand campaigns, or bouncing ideas off of the other copywriters. What I valued most about the Catalyst internship was the independence I had. I was put on so many projects with different copywriters in the department and through that, I got so much exposure to the company’s products and people. I learned what the company is really all about. Anyone looking to spend their summer working with incredibly driven, hilarious individuals in a creative, innovative environment should apply to this internship. I will always feel lucky to have had this experience.”
– Rachel Bass, 2015 RealArts@Penn Intern
“What I loved about working at Catalyst was the creative atmosphere. My colleagues discussed summer reality television passionately, and brainstorming sessions were held in the “breakout area,” a nook filled with comfy couches, funky lamps, and a beautiful view of the Hudson River. Our amazing department head often celebrated the team’s hard work with bagel breakfasts and ice cream parties. Never before had I worked in an environment that catered so much to creativity, and I found myself becoming interested and engaged with different things each day. As the RealArts intern, I was exposed to an entirely new skillset: copy writing. I quickly learned that the company has a distinct, unique voice, and our work had to reflect that voice. You can’t just rattle off a pun and pass it off as a good tagline. Sometimes, it can take you hours just to find the right adjective.It really made me realize the power and the value of words. For a writer/pop culture aficionado like me, there was no better place to work than Catalyst. Anybody who values intense literary debates, writing catchy slogans, free t-shirts, creative colleagues and thesaurus.com should apply to this internship.”
– Julia Liebergal, 2014 RealArts@Penn Intern