- Launched the Vagelos Institute for Energy Science and Technology
- Secured funding to support construction of the Vagelos Laboratory for Energy Science and Technology
- Established the Penn Program in Environmental Humanities
- Established the Penn Water Center
- Implemented the dual-degree Vagelos Integrated Program in Energy Research, in partnership with Engineering
- Made 13 faculty appointments, including 3 senior NAS-elected energy scientists; 3 junior appointments through the Energy Science cluster; 3 additional scientists of energy, environment, and ecology; one junior appointment in the environmental humanities; and 3 social scientists.