Yinyi Song

Illusion

My research focused on the relationship and distinction between object and art manifested through Marcel Duchamp’s readymade art. Understanding how commonplaces are viewed as art when they shed their original functions and transform psychologically into carriers of the concept of art and messengers of the artists, I created a project incorporating the readymade objects, such as cell phones and T-shirts, to clarify the theory of art. Moreover, interested in the increasing addiction and indulgence in the unhealthy pursuit of luxury products, my project emphasizes on the cycling luxury brand names and the looping circle of production and consumption of manufactured luxury goods. With the video brand names on plain T-shirts, I want to challenge people to reflect on the real value of brand names and ask themselves whether a luxury logo can really bring them any fulfillment? I also hope to raise awareness on the issue of consumerism and luxury brand fetish especially popular in Asian countries.

Advisors:

Tom Bendtsen (FNAR)

Tanya Jung (VLST)

Skip to toolbar