About Us

Our work is supported by the people of the Galápagos.

In the Galápagos, 97% of the land mass is protected as part of the Galápagos National Park. But more than 35,000 people live on the remaining 3% of the land, and these people will shape the future of this unique place.

The Galápagos Education and Research Alliance (GERA) aims to support Galápagos communities in protecting biodiversity, building resilience against climate change, and promoting the health of humans and non-humans alike. GERA is a partnership among these communities and faculty at the University of Pennsylvania, Villanova University, and Virginia Tech. Our work focuses on addressing the most pressing issues facing the Galápagos: How can population growth continue while preserving the biodiversity for which Galápagos is justly famous? How can these communities prepare for the coming climate emergency? How can the tools of community science be used to increase civic engagement with these issues and empower the local community to protect their home?

We address these crucial questions by partnering with the people of the Galápagos, especially the community of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno on San Cristóbal Island. GERA is predicated on the idea that the only way to balance growth and conservation is to work in concert with communities like this one.


San Cristóbal Guides’ Association

Charles Darwin Foundation

UAE-San Cristóbal School

Galápagos community members


University of Pennsylvania

Villanova University

Virginia Tech

If you want to know more...

Click here to read our annual report

Our Projects

Working With Local People

Community Science

Working For Local People

Research Initiatives