Scholarship with Global Impact
The new Perelman Center is home to distinguished research centers and programs which bring interdisciplinary scholarly expertise to bear on contemporary events at home and around the world.
- The Center for the Advanced Study of India (CASI) is a premier research hub dedicated to the policy challenges facing India today — from Indian state capacity, to Dalit entrepreneurship, to reforms in higher education. CASI also trains the next generation of scholars on India — including undergraduates who conduct important research on the ground.
- The Andrea Mitchell Center for the Study of Democracy aims not just to promote, but to understand, democracy. Global in its outlook, multifaceted in its purposes, the Mitchell Center seeks to contribute to the ongoing quest for democratic values, ideas, and institutions throughout the world.
- Penn Institute for Economic Research (PIER) supports faculty and students in advancing the science of economics and providing a forum for the exchange of ideas and research. PIER sponsors research programs, brings in distinguished visiting lecturers, and publishes findings through its working paper series—all efforts which have helped solidify Penn’s role as one of the leading institutions in the world for the study of economics.
- The Center for the Study of Contemporary China (CSCC) was established in 2012 to advance Penn’s leadership in programs, research, and scholarship about the political, legal, economic, and social forces shaping China and its role in the world today. Partnering with departments across the University—including the Penn Wharton China Center in Beijing—CSCC sponsors and supports research and events and hosts distinguished visiting scholars.
- The Christopher H. Browne Center has promoted interdisciplinary research and teaching across the University since 1997. The Center focuses on international relations, international security, and international political economy and sponsors visiting speakers and scholars, awards research grants, and organizes conferences.