1. Korean Placement Test
- If you want to take Korean at Penn and have previous experience with Korean language, you need to take this test.
- Prior experiences may include:
- You have been exposed to Korean informally at home.
- You have lived in Korea for more than six months.
- You learned Korean at any institution other than Penn.
- You have attended Saturday Korean schools.
2. Korean Proficiency Test
- If you want to become exempt from the foreign language requirement with Korean, you need to take this test.
- If you have completed your secondary education in Korea, and have obtained a high school diploma, you may be exempt from the language requirement.
- Please note that we do not accept any other Korean language test scores (i.e. TOPIK or SAT Subject Test) as proof of language proficiency.
3. Test Information
- The Placement and Proficiency tests consist of an online multiple-choice test (vocabulary, grammar, reading, and listening), a writing test, and an oral interview exam.
- The Placement and Proficiency tests are offered twice a year, in January and August, but students can take the test only once per year.
4. Fall 2017 Placement Test and Proficiency Test Schedule
- Placement Test and Proficiency Test – Online
- The link to the online Placement and Proficiency tests will become available in August.
- The online portion of the test is designed to be completed within 2 hours.
- Placement Test and Proficiency Test – Writing and Oral Interview
- After you complete the online portion, please take the writing and oral interview exams on the designated dates as follows:
|Placement Test*||TBA||Place: TBA|
|Proficiency Test**||TBA||Place: TBA|
- *for students who wish to take a Korean course at Penn
- **for students who want to become exempt from the foreign language requirement
- Things to bring: pencil, eraser, and Penn ID
- Test result will be emailed within 48 hours