1. Korean Proficiency Test
- If you want to become exempt from the foreign language requirement with Korean, you need to take this test.
- The Korean Proficiency test is offered ONCE A YEAR in late August during the New Student Orientation period.
- Please note that we DO NOT ACCEPT any other Korean language test scores (i.e. TOPIK or SAT Subject Test) as proof of language proficiency.
- If you have completed your secondary education in Korea, and have obtained a high school diploma, you may be exempt from the language requirement (Please contact Haewon Cho, the Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Proficiency test consists of an online multiple-choice test (vocabulary, grammar, reading, and listening), a writing test, and an oral interview exam.
2. Korean Placement Test
- If you want to take Korean at Penn and have previous experience with Korean language, you need to take this test (If you do not have any prior experience, this test is not required).
- Prior experiences may include:
- You have been exposed to Korean informally at home.
- You have lived in Korea for more than six months.
- You learned Korean at any institution other than Penn.
- You have attended Saturday Korean schools.
- You have self-studied Korean and you can read and write in Korean.
- The Placement test consists of an online multiple-choice test (vocabulary, grammar, reading, and listening), a writing test, and an oral interview exam.
3. Fall 2018 Placement Test and Proficiency Test Schedule
- Placement Test and Proficiency Test – Online
- The link to the online Placement and Proficiency tests will become available in mid-August. Click here to take the test.
- The online portion of the test is designed to be completed within 2 hours.
- Placement Test and Proficiency Test – Writing and Oral Interview
- After you complete the online portion, please take the writing and oral interview exams on the designated dates:
|Placement Test*||Date: TBA
|Proficiency Test**||Date: TBA
- *for students who wish to take a Korean course at Penn
- **for students who want to become exempt from the foreign language requirement
- Things to bring: pencil, eraser, and Penn ID
- Test result will be emailed within 48 hours