- NEW!!! On behalf of the Chinese Language Program at Penn, six of the Chinese language faculty members will present their work on the upcoming ACTFL 2022 Annual Convention & Expo in Boston. Dr. Jiajia Wang, Dr. Maiheng Dietrich, and Ms. Grace Wu will present their research on the cognitive and social perspectives in reading beyond textual comprehension. Ms. Xiaomeng Zhang, Mr. Chih-jen Lee, and Ms. Shihui Fan will present how project-based instructions are implemented in Penn’s intermediate Chinese language classrooms. Working with other colleagues from other institutions, Ms. Grace Wu will also co-present her work on innovative materials development for Chinese heritage language learners.
- The Chinese Language Program faculty, Dr. Ye Tian, Ms. Grace Wu and Mr. Melvin Lee, gave talks on civic engagement in the East Asia classroom at the Center for East Asian Studies at Penn. They shared their experiences with civic engagement on content learning in language. (9/15/2022)
- The result for Fall 2022 Chinese Make-up Placement Test is now published. Click here to check.
- The result for Fall 2022 Chinese Placement Test is now published. Click here to check.
- Chinese language Program’s Placement Test Guidelines for Fall 2022 are available now. The placement test format will be a combination of in-person written test and oral test. The placement test will take place on Friday 8/26 from 8AM to 10AM at David Rittenhouse Laboratory (DRL) A4, A6 & A8. One make-up placement test will be offered on Friday, 9/2 from 10AM to 12PM at Williams Hall 316, 318, &320.
- NEW!!! Penn Mental Health Workshop #5 “De-stress during the stressful time – Let’s have tea and desserts” (12/12/2022) sponsored by the Matthew Y. Wang Memorial Fund (5:30pm, 12/12/2022 @ Annenberg 110)
- The Chinese Language and Culture Club (CLC) hosted its second event of the Fall 2022 semester. Chinese students and teachers took a field trip to Chinatown and had an authentic Chinese hotpot meal together while practicing speaking Chinese.
- The Chinese Language Program welcomes Penn Alumnus, Mr. Harrison Beard, to discuss his experiences learning Chinese and applying the Chinese language to various business experiences with the Chinese language students (10/2/2022)
- Chinese Language Program Final Project Award Ceremony (4/2022)
- Field Trip to Fuyao Glass America Plant in Ohio, USA (2/2022)
Penn Mental Health Wellness Series #5: De-stress during the stressful time – Let’s have tea and desserts
5:30PM to 7PM@Annenberg 110
- Megan Zhong from CHIN 022 course, Hannah Bases and Caleb Cannon from CHIN 212 course won the FLAS scholarship.
- Jasmine Wu from CHIN 032 won the Critical Language Scholarship.
- Noah Goldfischer from CHIN 112 won the Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship.
- Heather Tang was named Schwarzman Scholar, one of the most competitive scholarships in the world. She took CHIN011, CHIN012, CHIN231, and CHIN232. Her Chinese ability and knowledge are one of the major reasons that she was selected.
- Laura Gao released her graphic memoir, Messy Roots, in March 2022. Gao is now a Chinese American comics artist. Gao became famous when she released a short comic called “The Wuhan I Know” in response to the growing Sinophobia due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The comic was later used as the basis for her graphic memoir called Messy Roots. Laura took CHIN031, CHIN 032, CHIN 231, and CHIN 232.
- Cynthia Yee (CHIN112) and Iris Horng (CHIN112) established the Penn Chinese Language & Culture Club to build a Chinese language learners’ community at Penn by organizing various extracurricular events. The Club co-sponsored the 2022 Spring CLP final project competition.
- Chloe Gong is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of These Violent Delights and its sequel Our Violent Ends. Chole took CHIN 031 and CHIN 032, which helped her write her Shanghai romance novel series.
Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations
847 Williams Hall, 255 S.36th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104